Our Recent Projects
British American Tobacco Maternity Pay Calculation Deployment
British American Tobacco
2000 in the UK
Oracle Products & Services:
PeopleSoft Enterprise Human
Jenny Pegg UK Payroll and Projects Manager
British American Tobacco plc (BAT) is a British multinational tobacco company headquartered in London with over 60,000 staff worldwide
BAT's PeopleSoft solution was implemented by Cedar in 2003, and is now hosted, maintained and supported by Cedar as part of a long-standing Managed Services agreement.
BAT use PeopleSoft primarily as a payroll system due to the flexibility offered by the Global Payroll module. They use basic HR functionality, as required to support payroll. They do not process absences in PeopleSoft.
- Requirement to automate the calculation of Statutory Maternity Pay (SMP) and Company Maternity Pay (CMP).
- Calculations were to be part of payroll calculation process but should not require absence event processing.
- The solution must comply with all legislation and company policy but with minimal ongoing maintenance.
- Absence and Maternity Leave data was not to be stored in PeopleSoft, only recorded on Job Data.
- A Maternity Pay calculation was built into the payroll process.
- All aspects of SMP and CMP were calculated, including Average Weekly Earnings and statutory rates.
- Start and End dates determined using Effective Dates from Job Data for specific Actions.
- The Expected Week of Childbirth was the only value that required manual entry (Supporting Element Override).
- Where possible Oracle delivered elements were used, as these will be updated by Oracle annually with new rates, reducing ongoing maintenance effort for BAT.
- Eligibility checks were performed using delivered rules defined on the Absence Parameters page.
- The solution reduces manual effort required to calculate payments each month and keying of payments.
- The solution gave greater accuracy; errors were found with previous manual process while testing the new solution
- The solution went live with October 2013 payroll.